questionswhat do i need to teach my son t-ball ?

vote-for17vote-against
vote-for10vote-against

Just stick with the basics: Glove, balls, bat and if you've got a safe place for him to swing a bat and not have to chase the ball, a tee. Whatever you buy, go as cheap as you can get away with. The quality of the equipment at the t-ball level is utterly irrelevant.

The most important thing to most of the kids of the post-game snack. At the field where my son played the snack bar prepared dixie-cup sixed icees for all kids after the game, and that's what motivated them.

If you've ever seen a t-ball game, the vast majority bear only the slightest resemblance to baseball as we know it. The fielders will be positoned correctly, the batter will swing at a non-moving ball and miss 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time every single fielder will immediately run towards the ball and crowd around it. If by some miracle there are incredible talented kids on the field you may see a properly recorded out.

When your son moves up a couple more levels, then we can really talk.

Good luck...

vote-for2vote-against

@elforman: given the fact that he is 6 should I get him a "real" bat or start with a little tikes kind of thing ?

We live about 4 houses down from the elementary school baseball field so we have a good place to play.

vote-for2vote-against

he's 6. He wants to hit a ball with a bat and throw it/catch it. PERIOD. throw a ball back and forth with him, and let him swing a kids' size bat at a ball.

vote-for2vote-against

At that age, may I suggest wiffle ball? Low cost, and you won't need to go to the hospital if he line drives one at you. ;) You also won't have to chase the balls as far.

vote-for2vote-against

@djbowman: You can probably find a nice, cheap aluminum t-ball bat at a local sporting goods store for under $20.

Also, be sure to buy the "soft" baseballs, not the hard major-league quality. I made hat mistake and on our first time out playing catch, a ball went into his glove, popped right out and smacked him in the nose. He refused to pick up a ball again for a month. Had it been a softer ball, which at the time I didn't even know existed, it would have been a different story.

The best advice you can give you son is to pay attention to the coaches. Don't get distracted by anything else going on or cars driving by. Nobody wants to be the kid in the outfield whom the ball rolls by because he's fascinated with the stitching on his glove.

vote-for3vote-against

@elforman: he is totally ADD so that will happen. However, in looking around it looks like I missed most of the leauge signups anyway. He just wants to play. I got a foam bat and ball at the grocery store and he got way excited so now I want to get a tee so he can hit it alot. And truth be told a bucket of balls so I have lots and I can send the 3 year old to chase and pick them up then we both have fun

vote-for2vote-against

Deal Challenge anyone ? Tee, bat, and bucket of balls 50 or less

vote-for3vote-against

@djbowman:

Here's a foam t-ball set for $18 but it's only got two stars because the tee sucks apparently. So, you can get that then get a quality tee here for $28 with a 4.7 average review. There you go, for only $46. And, if you have a Prime membership, both are eligible, so you can get them there on Friday for free.

vote-for2vote-against

I do have prime and shoprunner for that matter ... good find. I have a foam bat already which we could use so maybe a tee (which seems to run about 24 by itself) and a buck of balls the balls seem to be the expesnive part

vote-for2vote-against

Your time and attention. More important than what type of equipment you buy, where you play, etc...

vote-for2vote-against

T-ball is not about scoring, winning or anything other than learning motor skills and having a good time. The basic skills are hitting the ball off the tee and catching and throwing. Most of the kids are not athletic at this stage, so its not important to be good.

vote-for1vote-against

I vote with @natedogg828 on this one, but only in the 5-gallon size. Like others said before, at this point unless your son is a baseball prodigy any equipment will work fine.