questionshow did you handle your last days of work before…


Worked all the way to the end, once when I retired, once when I quit. It's just who I am. On the job I quit, I put in notice for 3 weeks (wanted to give them time to start looking for the next target) and was bought out for 2 of those weeks (if I'd have thought about it I should have put in notice for longer...duh!). When they bought me out, I was told Friday would be the last day, but there was an event scheduled for Sat and I agreed to stay. As soon as the event finished I was out the door. I still keep in contact with that boss; left that job in 2009.


Should say, " I just want to quit in peace! ;)"

Typing fail. :(


Bermuda shorts, flip flops, in at 10 out by 2.


@kylemittskus: I gave two weeks notice last June, although I had been planning to leave for quite a while. My immediate staff and a few friends knew, but not the weasels who were taking us over. They were stunned and rather upset that I was leaving since it dropped the responsibility of laying off about 300 people back on them. Too bad.

I worked up until the end, as I had at my previous job. There were things on my plate that I felt responsible for completing and I had a tough time getting it all done since folks kept coming by to chat. As you noted, it got uncomfortable, and I tried to close my door occasionally but that didn't always help. I should have spent more time packing up 20 years worth of assorted things, but I just couldn't do that with folks drifting in all day. On my last day I stayed until about 10:00 that night loading up my car and leaving notes on projects for others to follow up.

Hang in there. Smile. Give yourself a chance to say good-bye.

Good luck!


I just worked until the end. Took the time to put together a manual of all my duties to help whoever would be taking over my position since no one had been hired for me to train. It actually drove home to the powers the be that I was doing a (profanity)oad of stuff for what little they were paying me.


I actually worked 2 weeks beyond my original date because they were in no shape for me to leave.


Gave three weeks notice and started training the current employee they wanted to move up to my position. On my last day I worked 3 hours later than my scheduled time to insure that weekend's code deploy would be smooth and nothing could come back on me.
My replacement occasionally called me for the next 4-6 weeks with questions. A few months later the company got bought out and I spent weeks writing recommendations to my former co-workers, including my old managers.


I worked, and usually closer to 12-14 hour days at the end. It was rough because I was selling most of my possessions and getting ready to move from TX to VA at the same time.

I haven't been so exhausted in my life, but the company still deserved to have me work hard for them and give them their due. It's the honorable and right thing to do, you should continue to work just as hard, if not harder, during your last days there than otherwise. Else you'll leave everyone there with a sour taste in their collective mouths, and that will eventually reflect back on you.


When I left my last place, I knew that I was leaving them in a lurch. I liked my job, all the people I worked with, and all the bosses in my department. My relationship with the Plant Manager and his bosses soured, however. I wrapped up as many projects as I could, and even went on the road to train one of our vendors on how to make our parts.
Specifically, I worked 10-11 hours each day (like always) until my last day, when I left about 2pm. By then I had finished what I could finish.
I tried hard to make sure that if I ever need to go crawling back to that god-forsaken place again, they will welcome me back.


Try to go quietly is a good idea in most cases. You never know when you might need someone from there to give you a good reference in the future.

A couple of my memorable departures:

I worked about a month at a grocery store (while between jobs). Dress code explicitly said no jeans for cashiers, and I was faithful to that. Except on my last day, where I honestly forgot about it and went to work in jeans. Oops. Started a new job the following day.

Following job, I worked for about 2 years (retail). When I had my last day I wore a regular T-shirt under my uniform polo-type shirt. End of the night after the store was closed I took off my work shirt (not unusual in our store) and did closing in my T-shirt. Then I neatly folded my work shirt, shrink-wrapped it, and put it on my manager's desk (he was there that night and saw it immediately). He popped the shrink wrap and gave me back my shirt...


There isn't a printer you'd like to make off with to destroy, is there?


@lavikinga: Hmmm me thinks there is a story here .... Or at least something you have cooked up but never done.


@panthiest: Thanks. I couldn't find the original with the lead up scene to it. It's hard to be a gansta!

@djbowman: OH! How I would have loved to have gone out in a glory of brilliant flames as well as taken our danged fax machine with me to drag behind my car , but I was too thrilled to be out of that job to do anything other than make sure the radio/mp3 player that the office staff had claimed as their own went home with me. I've only now finally run out of the stacks of neon post it notes that ended up in my car too. As God as my witness, I will never work in an office full of women if I can help it.


OHHH yeah ... I forgot about that. I've only seen that move once a long time ago. Funny movie just not an over and over again person


The company had aggressively poached me from somewhere else and after being there for about 3 months and then delivering on nothing they promised I returned a call to an old colleague that was trying to hire me. I was overheard despite the fact that I had stepped out of the office.

I got back to my office and my boss pulled me in and asked what was going on so I told him I had talked to someone else about a job because they had called me. He indicated that they really wanted to keep me and they felt like I was a really good employee and wanted to know what they could do to get me to stay. (all this despite the fact I had just had one conversation and did not have another job offer) I told him some of my concerns all of which was not news to him as I had given the feedback multiple times before when asked.


We agreed to keep talking about it and I went about pursuing the opportunity and ultimately ended up taking a day off in order to fly somewhere for the interview despite the fact it was a PTO restricted date we argued about me taking the day off because he knew why so he finally said well go ahead and take the day off but when you get the offer from them let us know what it is because I have spoken to the VP and we intend to match it in order to keep you.

Sounds great right all hunky dory ?

I got back from the interview cycle and he pulled me to ask about the details of the offer and I told him I was still waiting and that I still had not decided if I wanted to go or stay but that I wanted to stay if they could help me get to the point of resolving my concerns. At which point I gave him some guidance on what I expected the offer from the other company to be.


About an hour after that I got a call with an offer which having learned my lesson had gone down 16 floors gone outside and walked half a block before taking it.

When I got back to the office there was an email in my inbox referring to the conversation of an hour before thanking me for giving my 2 weeks and setting my end date shorter than 2 weeks the day before they paid bonuses and would have caused my benefits to go for another 30 days .

So basically it went from we want to keep you to we are screwing you.

This is when it helps to have a friend who is an employment lawyer so he drafted a letter on letterhead inquiring around reasons etc…. I kept it in my pocket for a day after trying to work with them and HR and they were being stupid so I applied the lighter fluid and matches to the bridge and had my lawyer buddy email HR on his letterhead from his firm.

I got the bonus I deserved and my benefits were extended another 30 days.


I worked my tail of for that 6 days despite the fact it was very hard emotionally to even be there anymore as everyone knew about the whole thing. When I left I had gotten them 6 months ahead for my territory and shortly after I left the entire team was laid off and a few were moved to different jobs that were crappier and had to relocate so it was good I saw the writing on the wall.

I just always found it funny that they had reacted so badly because they had poached me and offered me 1200 bucks a head from everyone I could get to come with me.

The good part is the company I went too has doubled my salary and taken good care of me so I am very glad I changed