questionsrca cables: what's the difference between red…


the red-white-yellow cables are for transmitting audio (red-white) and video (yellow). the red-green-blue cables are for transmitting video, but in higher definition than the yellow cable.

i have heard that you could use r-g-b cables in place of the r-w-y cables but it would depend on the specifications of the cables.

i assume you're looking for something like this:


@kfujita: That would be nice but those converter boxes cost as much as the blu-ray I am trying to hook up. I was hoping to find a cable solution for under $10, otherwise t would lake more sense to shelve it till we replace one of the TVs.


@moondrake: ah that makes sense. unfortunately, without a converter box, you won't be able to convert from HDMI to component. the converter cables you've probably seen on amazon don't actually work, because the conversion requires an active power source. i haven't found an adapter under $10 yet, but i'll keep an eye out.


@kfujita: Awesome. Thanks for both the information and the scouting.


Cables are all the same, color makes it easier to keep track of what is what. I did use YRW in place of RBG and used colored electrical tape to identify.
I have gone as far as using RW for audio and yellow for green and a set of WR for BR.

As mentioned above:
Using RBG is better quality vs just Y. If you do not care about quality one of the RBG may be Y if that is all that is plugged in (excluding audio). (look in your owners manual)

In theory you would only need 2 RCA plugs one for 1 channel of sound (R or W) and the other for Y video. But that is just crazy talk.


Also note - if you're trying to hook a blu-ray player up to an older standard definition TV (which it sounds like, since you describe only having composite inputs), you're not going to get an HD quality image. Even if you play a blu-ray disc, you'll be watching it in downconverted 480p quality, the same as DVD quality. Blu-ray players are really intended to work with high-def televisions with 1080p screen resolution.

Unfortunately, a digital HDMI signal cannot be converted to an analog composite or component signal simply with an adapter cable. As stated above, an active, powered device would have to be involved, and it's probably not worth the price.

Edit - I do see you mentioned an LED screen, if you do have a high-def TV that just doesn't have HDMI, but does have composite inputs, my apologies for misunderstanding.


@djp519: Thanks! I am not too worried about that. I am in the minority that, for the most part, doesn't like blu-ray. It looks like a documentary or a soap opera to me. The screen room is basically my art studio, so if it goes in there it will be for keeping me company while I work, so I only look at it about 10% of the time anyway.